India is a major tea exporter country and ranked at 4th position in the list of tea exporting countries. Tea export from India to the world worth 658 USD million during 2017. Tea export data shows that India is selling various types of tea such as Black Tea, Regular Tea, Green Tea, Herbal Tea, Masala Tea and Lemon Tea. Black is the most demanded Indian tea in the international market. Tea is the most common drink among the Indian population and the country is also a king of varieties of tea. India has a large production which helps it to fulfill the domestic requirement as well as its export demand in foreign countries. As pet the HS Code List, tea is classified under HS Code 0902.
The main tea-growing regions are in Northeast India (including Assam) and in north Bengal (Darjeeling district and the Dooars region). Tea is also grown on a large scale in the Nilgiris in south India. India is one of the world’s largest consumers of tea, with about three-fourths of the country’s total produce consumed locally. Let’s explore the Indian tea industry with its export market throughout the given article.
Key Markets and Export Destinations of Indian Tea
- Total Tea exports stood at USD 837.33 million in 2017-18, as compared to USD 731.25 million during the previous year.
- In 2017-18 major importers of Indian tea were Iran (USD 126.36 million), Russia (USD 120.83 million), UAE (USD 66.28 million), USA (USD 64.33 million) and UK (USD 55.80 million)
- India stands fourth in terms of tea exports after Kenya (including neighboring African countries), China and Sri Lanka respectively.
- As of 2016, India was the second largest producer in the world with production of 1,267 million kgs.
- The country is home to a wide variety of teas, including CTC tea, orthodox tea, green tea and organic tea. Unlike many other tea producing and exporting nations, India has a manufacturing base for both CTC and orthodox tea, in addition to green tea.
- India offers high-quality specialty teas, such as Darjeeling, Assam Orthodox and the high-range Nilgiri, which have a distinctive aroma, strength, colour and flavour.
Indian Tea Export Statistics – Monthly Values
India’s tea exports have touched a record high in 36 years at 240.7 million kilograms during calendar 2017, Tea Board data said. The previous record was in 1981 when exports had reached 241.25 million kilograms. This table presents the monthly values of Indian tea export statistics 2017.
|Month||Value (USD Million)|
Tea Exports by Indian States
West Bengal is the biggest Indian state exporting varieties of tea majorly in the international market. This state worth two-third value of total tea export from India during 2017. Know the export values of top 10 tea exporting states of India.
|Indian State||Value in USD Million|
List of Tea Exporters in India
Tea export market report revealed that thousands of exporters are selling varieties of tea to the foreign companies. We have provided the list of top 25 tea exporters in India.
- SSK Exports Ltd.
- Girnar Food & Beverages Pvt Ltd
- Shah Brothers
- Bhansali & Company
- Madhu Jayanti International Ltd
- M K Jokai Agri Plantations Private Limited
- Balaji Agro Pvt.Ltd.
- Gujarat Tea Processors & Packers Ltd
- Mcleod Russel India Limited
- The Coonoor Tea Estates Company Limited
- JFK International Ltd.
- Chamong Tee Exports P. Ltd.
- New Tea Exports Private Limited
- Gillanders Arbuthnot & Co. Ltd.
- Aquarious Marketing Private Limited
- Indian Products (P) Limited
- Harrisons Malayalam Limited.,
- Hindustan Tea Exporters
- Siewert And Dholakia Overseas Private Limited
- G A Randerian Private Limited
- Kusum International,
- Avt Natural Products Limited
- Apeejay Tea Limited,
- Godfrey Phillips India Ltd
- Havukal Tea And Produce Company Pvt Ltd
- Rossell India Limited
- The Teloijan Tea Co Ltd.,
- M K Shah Exports Ltd
- Tea Promoters India
- The United Nilgiri Tea Estates Co. Limited
10 Biggest Export Destinations of Indian Tea
Tea export data reveals that India is selling tea to more than 150 countries around the world. Iran, Russia, USA and Germany are the biggest export destinations of India tea. We have provided top 10 Indian tea export destinations with their share value recorded in 2017.
Biggest Indian Ports in Tea Exports
Kolkata Sea is the biggest Indian port departing varieties of tea and during 2017 its export worth 409 USD million, followed by Cochin Sea i.e. 145 USD million. Check the below table for top Indian ports departing tea to the global market and values are based on 2017 data.
|Indian Port||Import Value in USD Million|
Indian Tea Export Data – Sample of Shipment
India export data includes thousands of shipments based on actual shipping records. Check the single shipment of tea export data of India.
|Description||GIRNAR TEA – GIRNAR ROYAL CUP MASALA TEA|
|FOB value||USD 496|
|Indian Exporter||GIRNAR FOOD & BEVERAGES PVT LTD|
|Exporter Address||GIRNAR COMPLEX, 3B KURESHI NAGAR, KURLA (EAST), Mumbai, Maharashtra – 400070|
|Foreign Importer||Purvi Enterprises|
|Importer Address||9041 DICE ROAD, UNIT 11, SANTA FE S PRINGS, CA 90670, U.S.A. LOS ANGELES,CALIFORNIA|
|Import Country||United States|
|Foreign Port||Los Angeles|
Buy updated tea export data with genuine shipment records. Email at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill up the contact form given below.